Search Manic Mark's Blog

Friday, December 4, 2020

Lush And Lovely - Skitch Henderson

 

Pagan Love Song

Lush And Lovely
The Piano Magic Of Skitch Henderson with Orchestra
Cover Photo: Columbia Records Studio - Henry Parker
Columbia CL 1823
1962

From the back cover: Some years ago – 1939 to be exact – on a warm August day, I was faced with a great decision. I had just finished a vaudeville tour as an accompanist for Judy Garland, Mickey Rooney and Ukulele Ike. The termination took place in Chicago, and the manager of the troupe asked me where I'd like to go. Quite obviously everyone else was returning to Hollywood. He had a spare ticket in the same direction; I had no cares, only wild dreams and, if I remember correctly, $112 in the pocket of my sweater.

Three and a half days later the company disembarked at Glendale, which was quite stylish at that time. There they were met by the press, and all the formalities of public relations took place. Strangely enough I too got off at Glendale not realizing that it was still a good ten or twelve miles to Hollywood and Vine and all the people with whom I had traveled disappeared into the palm trees, the sunshine, the Brown Derby and the blue Pacific. I was on my own.

The first year was pretty grim. Milk shakes then cost a dime, and therefore became my sustenance most of the time. An occasional market opening (with searchlights), an occasional job as stand-in for some famous musician, an occasional glance and encouragement from men like Victor Young, Morris Stoloff and Ray Heindorf helped to feed my ego, if no my stomach.

Somehow, I never became a fan of post-World War II Hollywood. But during my confused years, I had the opportunity to meet and work with many people on both sides of the cameras. The songs in this album represent not only my nostalgic memories of a giant artistic industry, but the fun, warmth and happiness that this industry brought to the screen for all of us. The arrangements, the piano and the orchestra are modern, but back of it all lurks the sound of a pianist in Stillwater, Oklahoma underscoring your favorite silent picture on Saturday night, or the magnificent sound of Eugene Ormandy with the Capitol Theatre orchestra on Broadway. No popcorn, please. – Skitch Henderson

Angela Mia
Diane
Charmaine
Jeannie, I Dream Of Lilac Time
Ramona
The Sheik Of Araby
Love, Your Magic Spell Is Everywhere
Paradise
Falling In Love Again
Pagan Love Song
Merry Widow Waltz
On The Sunny Side Of The Street

No comments:

Post a Comment

Howdy! Thanks for leaving your thoughts!