Search Manic Mark's Blog

Thursday, January 2, 2020

The Columbia Album Of Jerome Kern - Paul Weston

Smoke Gets In Your Eyes
The Columbia Album Of Jerome Kern
Paul Weston and His Orchestra
Cover Photo: Saul Leiter
Columbia C2L-2
2 record set packaged in a gatefold jacket

From the back cover: The only personal contact I ever had with Jerome Kern was in Hollywood – and it was a meeting I'll never forget. As a free-lance arranger just getting started in the motion picture field, I was called in to make some orchestrations for the picture "Cover Girl" and sat in on a conference concerned with the routining of one of the musical numbers I was to arrange. As the conference proceeded, Kern met every suggestion for a departure from the way in which he felt the number should be done with one word, "WHY?" – which he delivered in what seemed too be a deliberately irritating tone of voice. He threw the meeting into a great state of confusion, but in the end things turned out fine – and just the way he wanted them. After the meeting, I found myself alone in the room with Kern, and he suddenly turned to me with a twinkle in his eye and said, "Young man, if you want to accomplish anything in this business, you must remember that it is extremely important that you meet every suggestion with the WHY? – and say it loudly and in an annoying manner. That way, you're a little ahead to start with, and in the end you'll get your way." I know nothing of the Broadway stage, but for the movie business I must admit this technique can often be quite successful. – Paul Weston

Smoke Gets In Your Eyes
You Are Love
She Didn't Say Yes
They Didn't Believe Me
Why Was I Born
Who?
Yesterdays
All The Things You Are
Why Do I Love You?
The Touch Of Your Hand
Look For The Silver Lining
The Song Is You

Can I Forget You
Just Let Me Look At You
Lovely To Look At
In Love In Vain
I Dream Too Much
Long Ago And Far Away
The Folks Who Live On The Hill
All Through The Day
The Way You Look Tonight
Dearly Beloved
I'm Old Fashioned
A Fine Romance

No comments:

Post a Comment

Howdy! Thanks for leaving your thoughts!