Search Manic Mark's Blog

Monday, December 31, 2012

Soul O Cello - Fred Katz

Soul O Cello
Fred Katz And His Music
Cello And Orchestra - Modern Jazz Arrangements
Decca DL 9202
1958

This album appears to have been recently released on CD (with several other artists), but is none-the-less hard to find. Even, though the rights status seems vague, I will not be posting a sample. Sorry!

I'm blogging this album even without a sample track because it is so fine! The music is a smart blend of jazz and easy from the late 50s. The sound is hard to compare to anything that was going on at the time. It's dramatic, bright and has a bit of a "soundtrack" edge to it. It plays through almost like a concept album to my ears.

The 'Far Out' Music of Fred Katz

Country Gardens
Satori
Andante
Circus
Wayfaring Stranger
Time After Time
The Vidiot
Lament Of The Oracles
I'm Glad There Is You
The Toy The Never Was
Intermezzo
Come With Me

3 comments:

  1. I have searched for ever and ever for the Decca Mood Jazz albums in which Fred Katz had a hand. Now you say you are posting, or have already posted, "Soulo Cello." Please tell me how to download it and if you have the albums by John Pisano in which Katz played a hand? This promises to be be a beautiful day. Help the day keep that promise. Thank--and bless--you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I decided that, due to the CD release and vague rights status, not to post a sample. You should be able to search out and purchase the CD.

      Delete
  2. I didn't know Fresh Sounds had reissued all three Fred Katz Mood Jazz albums in December of last year. Of course, I will buy them immediately. Thanks for the heads-up.

    ReplyDelete

Howdy! Thanks for leaving your thoughts!