Search Manic Mark's Blog

Monday, January 3, 2022

My Blue Heaven- Gene Austin

 

China Boy (Go Sleep)

My Blue Heaven
Gene Austin
Vocal With Orchestra
Decca Records DL 8433
1957

From the back cover: This is the story of Gene Austin – the first of the great crooners. His relaxed, genial style set the stage for the Colombos, Crosbys, Como and Sinatras who were to follow. The tremendous impact of Gene's big records on the market of that era created entirely new concepts of hit-record-potential in the industry. Austin's royalties, accrued for the most part between the years of 1923 and 1929, show a sale of over 86 million records. This is all the more astounding, considering the fact that he did not make a large number of record!

Gene hails from the Southwest: Gainsville, Texas, to be exact. In the words of one writer, he remains "a rugged Western type, who leans almost into the vein of a singing Will Rogers, yet paradoxically, retains the underlying sophistication of a Cole Porter." Gene left home at fifteen, joining the U.S. Army to see action in the Mexican Punitive Expedition. From this, he entered right into World War I. After the armistice, he attended the University Of Maryland in Baltimore, but the lure of the entertainment world was too great. Record company officials heard him sing; they liked what they heard and Gene began to make records. His first big one was "Yearning," followed by "Yes Sir, That's My Baby." After that, it was hit after hit, culminating in his greatest success, "My Blue Heaven." His name was now a household word.

My Blue Heaven
Carolina Moon
I Cried For You (Now It's Your Turn To Cry For Me) - with Victor Young and His Orchestra
Jeannine (I Dream Of Lilac Time)
Ramona
Music, Maestro, Please!
Tonight You Belong To Me
Forgive Me
If I Could Be With You (One Hour Tonight)
If I Had My Way - with Victor Young and His Orchestra
China Boy (Go Sleep)
I'm In A Mellow Mood

No comments:

Post a Comment

Howdy! Thanks for leaving your thoughts!