Search Manic Mark's Blog

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Moog - The Electric Eclectics Of Dick Hyman

Moog
The Electric Eclectics Of Dick Hyman
Command ABC Records 938-S
1969

This is the first of several "Moog" synth records Hyman made on the Command label. This LP can be found, including some tracks from the follow-up LP, The Age Of Eletronicus, on CD.

I read one review that make you think the entire LP is filled with cheesy music. The first few tracks on the A side are sort of cheesy sounding. I like that 60s sound, myself. But the remaining tracks on the A side are dark and mysterious and seem to me to pave the path for many science fiction sound track arrangements to come. Side B opens with a long track titled The Minotaur. The vibe reminds me of something Frank Zappa might have done if he swapped in his guitar for a Moog long enough to compose one song.

The rest of side 2 is equally atmospheric.

2 comments:

  1. I would kill to find this. I am a huge fan of Dick Hyman! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beck sampled some of this. ruined it, really.

    ReplyDelete

Howdy! Thanks for leaving your thoughts!