Search Manic Mark's Blog

Saturday, March 28, 2015

A Man And His Dream - Acquaviva

Always The Sea
A Man And His Dream
Acquaviva And His Orchestra
MGM/Lowe's Inc. E3696
1958

Notes from the back cover explain that Acquaviva's artistic approach was "conceptual" in nature: Men dream of many things during the course of their lives – fame, wealth, love, the achievement of ideals, the establishment of important ideas. But, always, in each man's life there is one dominant dream, one he strives after more than the others.

My own special dream as I grew up was to conduct a special sort of orchestra in a special sort of music. In my reviews, I visualized a symphonically-seated orchestra that would bring to "pop" music all of the dazzling musical coloration, all of the thrilling mass of composers like Tchaikovsky, Debussy, Ravel, Rimsky-Korsakov and other of the immortals. Somewhere, I knew there was possible a bridge between classical and "pop" selections – I hoped to help erect that bridge.

As I built a career as a professional musician, I met many other who shared my ideas and were excited by their possibilities. There were composers who wanted to expand their scope of expression, arrangers who had strikingly original ideas for orchestrating. Music, after all, had to exist before we could convince anyone to sponsor the creation of a hugh orchestra, so we set to work. The first results of these experimentations were set forth in an MGM long-playing set called "Music For Your Midnight Mood." You, the public, seemed to like our "new" music very much. The success of that recording told me that my dream had come true. – Acquaviva


Also see: The Exciting Sound Of Acquaviva

Curtain Time
Always The Sea
This Might Be Love
Everyday
One Moment More
New York In A Nutshell
A Man With A Dream
Road Show
Alone With You
Am I In Love
Joni
Prayer For Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment

Howdy! Thanks for leaving your thoughts!