Search Manic Mark's Blog

Sunday, November 12, 2023

Brazil, Bossa Nova & Blues - Herbie Mann

 

Copacabana

Brazil, Bossa Nova & Blues
Herbie Mann
Produced by Alan Douglas
Sound: Bill Schwartau
Cover Photograph & Cover Designer: Frank Gauna
United Artist Jazz STEREO 15009
1962

From the back cover: The Bossa Nova is a musical expression of modern Brazil. Sensitive and lyrical on the surface, strong and fiery underneath, the melodies of the Bossa Nova have long flowing lines, and the rhythm is implied. To say it's sensuous is an understatement.

I played in Brazil in July of 1961 and from the first day in Sao Paulo until the last day in Rio, the Brazilians showed me how real and sincere they are. At the concerts their love enveloped the musicians, and because of it the musicians gave their all. This infatuation instead of dying out has become a real honest love affair between me and Brazil. When I went on this tour, I was at a point where  I was disgusted with my own playing and tried of listening to long, loud drum solos that pleased the audience, but left me musically frustrated. Brazil changed that. The Brazilians had no preconceived ideas about my playing and what type music was expected of me from my fans. So they just sat back and evaluated what they heard in person, and for the first time in over two years, I could play what I wanted, and this gave me new confidence in my own playing. In fact, on my return from Brazil, I changed the instrumentation of my group, replacing one of my drums with guitar and adding more lyrical and sensitive arrangements to our repertoire. The songs in this album are some of them. – Herbie Mann

From Billboard - November 3, 1962: This album was recorded for UA previous to Mann's signing with Atlantic. It's a wonderfully flowing album that contains a good many tracks in the Latin-American style and there are number of bossa novas in the album. Besides Mann's torrid flute work, the LP contains some fine guitar playing by Billy Bean and strong vibes by Dave Pike. Among the bossa material is "One Note Samba" and "Me Fat Recorar." There as six tracks in all.

Herbie Mann - Flute
Billy Bean - Guitar
Carlos (Patato) Valdez - Conga
Willie Bobo - Drums
Haygood Hardy - Vibes
Dave Pike - Marimba
Bill Salter - Bass
Carmen Costa - Maracas

No comments:

Post a Comment

Howdy! Thanks for leaving your thoughts!