Search Manic Mark's Blog

Thursday, September 7, 2023

Teen Scene - Chet Atkins

 

Suzie-Q

Teen Scene
Chet Atkins
Produced by Anita Kerr
Recorded in RCA Victor's "Nashville Sound" Studio, Nashville, Tennessee
Recording Engineer: Bill Porter
RCA Victor LSP-2719 STEREO
1963

From the back cover: Who Invented Chet Atkins?

Back in ancient times, when I was a teen-ager, we had no Chet Atkins to move the masses and prompt the populace to pulsate. But give us this mach credit: we were smart enough to now there was seething lacking in our lives. For example, one day Helen of Troy commented in my hearing, "Things are changing; the lyre sets but nobody afire anymore; the lute don't swing worth a hoot; and I'll bet you my share of the whole Archipelago you couldn't peddle ten tickets to a zither concert around here."

Later on I heard much the same kind of seething unrest from Bill Shakespeare, a pen pal of mine, and from Stonewall Jackson the night of his class' big commencement bash at West Point.

So, when I grew up and went to work at RCA Victor, I invented Chet Atkins, and now teen-agers humble themselves a my feet wherever I go.

...That's the story I'm submitting for this year's session of the National Liars Club competition they hold annually in Burlington, Iowa. I plan to spend the first-prize money on several thousand copies of this album and sen them for free distribution any place where guys and girls may not already be enjoying Chet – which mens they'll have to be taken along on this country's first manned space flight to the moon.

Being one off the fellows at Victor who's always first to learn of Chet's new-album plans, and who later eyes the sales to see if all of you liked his ideas, I have occasion to know how well Chet Atkins has penetrated this planet. Disc jockeys play him because they know he's a favorite of Young America... you buy him because you've had a sampling of his newest stuff on the deejay shows... and why results is a spiral that spins each new Atkins effort sky high. Teensville (his first of this type) will be a rough one to follow. But with Chet's choice of tunes like Susie-Q, Rumpus, Sweet Baby and all the rest, Teen Scene stands to pop the top right off everything with a beat that's gone before. 

Aren't you glad I invented Chet Atkins? – Steve Sholes - West Coast Manager, RCA Victor

From Billboard - August 24, 1963: Like its predecessor album, "Teensville." This is a slick one indeed. It has superior arrangements, spotlighting the Atkins guitar but smartly bringing in tasteful spots of horns, harmonica and voices. Rhythm section is great. Recent pop hits given fine treatment include "I Love How You Love Me," "Alley Cat," "Walk Right In," "Bye, Bye Bird," etc. Lots of fine tracks.

I Got A Woman
Rumpus
I Love How You Love Me
Alley Cat
Walk Right In
Back Home Again In Indiana
Teen Scene
Sweetie Baby
A Little Evil
I Will
Bye-Bye Birdie
Susie-Q

No comments:

Post a Comment

Howdy! Thanks for leaving your thoughts!