Search Manic Mark's Blog

Tuesday, August 22, 2023

2 For The Money - The Brothers Candoli: Sextet

 

Caravan

2 For The Money
The Brothers Candoli: Sextet
Mercury Records MG 20515
1959

Pete Candoli & Conte Candoli - Trumpets
Jimmy Rowles - Piano
Max Bennett - Bass
Frank Capp - Drums
Howard Roberts - Guitar

From the back cover: There are many famous brothers in jazz – Cannonball and Nat Adderley, Hand and Thad Jones, Red and Whitey Mitchell, Abe and Sam Most, Ray and Zoot Sims, Charlie and Jack Teagarden, Claude and Stu Williams – to mention a few.

However, possibly none are as well known as the Candoli Brothers – Pete and Conte.

If you met these two popular trumpet men together you'd never guess they were brothers if you didn't know. Pete is assertive and aggressive. Conte is thoughtful and emotional. And their individual musical extemporizations are allied to their personalities. It's the contrast in their styles that is the spice of their joint performance here.

"Pete was originally taught by my father," Conte recalls.

"Pete was with a band on the road when I was at school," he continues. "When he came home he gave me lessons. Of course I was influenced by Pete at first but Harry James and Roy Eldridge were also my idols then. Later, however, I wanted to play like Dizzy (Gillespie). I still do!

"Pete's like my mother. She just comes in a room and takes over. I'm like my Dad – quiet and calm, Our jazz is probably just as contrasted," Conte opines.

Pete Candoli did all the imaginative arrangements on this LP except "Willow Weep For Me" which was the fine work of pianist Jimmy Rowles.

"With two trumpets and rhythm we really have to do everything differently," Pete declares.

Splanky
Soak Yo' Sally
A-Lue-Cha
Rifts For Rosie
Caravan
Take The A Train
Doodlin'
Willow Weep For Me
Blueing Boogie
Richard Diamond's Blues

No comments:

Post a Comment

Howdy! Thanks for leaving your thoughts!