Search Manic Mark's Blog

Saturday, June 17, 2023

All Time Hits Sung By Rusty Draper

 

When Its Sleepy Time Down South

All Time Hits Sung by Rusty Draper
With David Carroll and His Orchestra
Mercury Wing MGW 12103

From the back cover: Altho Rusty Draper is better known for his exuberant, driving vocal style, his versatile performance on this long play record offers conclusive proof that he also handles a ballad with tenderness and moving sincerity. The tall, attractive redhead radiates heart and general song-savvy on four swingy, sentimental tunes from the twenties, "I'll Get By", "After I Say I'm Sorry", "If I Had You" and "Cherry"; Kurt Weill's poignant "September Song" from 1938's legit click "Knickerbocker Holiday"; the provocative "Tangerine", wistful "The One I Love Belongs To Somebody Else", and the beguiling sweetness of "Skylark" from the early forties.

In addition to his standout ability, Rusty Draper is a talented composer and musician. Altho he lacks a formal musical education, the star is an accomplished electric guitar player, and also performs expertly on the electric ukulele, banjo and mandolin. Born in Kirksville, O., Rusty mastered the guitar at 10 and had his own weekly radio program on KTUL, Tulsa, Oklahoma, by the time he was 12. The Oklahoma station, incidentally, was also responsible for giving another Mercury star – Patti Page – her first break in show business.

Tangerine
After I Say I'm Sorry
September
Song
If I Had You
When It's Sleepy Time Down South
Coquette
Skylark
I'll Get By
The One I Love (Belongs To Somebody Else)
Tiger Lily
Are You Satisfied
Cherry

No comments:

Post a Comment

Howdy! Thanks for leaving your thoughts!