Search Manic Mark's Blog

Friday, March 3, 2023

Chet Atkins Picks On The Beatles

 

Things We Said Today

Chet Atkins Picks On The Beatles
Produced by Chet Atkins and Bob Ferguson
Recorded in RCA Victor's "Nashville Sound" Studio, Nashville, Tennessee
Recording Engineer: Bill Vandevort
Charlie McCoy pictured on back cover on Harmonics on Chet's albums (courtesy of Monument Records)
RCA Victor LPM-3531
1966

From the back cover: I have appreciated Chet Atkins as a musician since long before the tracks on this album were written; in fact, since I was the ripe young age of seventeen. Since then I have lost count of the number of Chet's album I have acquired, but I have not been disappointed with any of them.

For me, the great thing about Mr. Atkins is not the fact that he is capable of playing almost every type of music but the conviction in the way he does it. Whilst listening to Chet Atkins Picks On The Beatles I got the feeling that these songs had been written specifically with Chet in mind. The fact that they were not proves his eminence as an artist – the perfect example being Yesterday. Chet, by himself, gets far more out of this than some of the people known as "class" singers do with a full orchestral arrangement to boot!"

I'll Cry Instead, She's A Woman and Can't buy Me Love, having a country feeling about them, lend themselves perfectly to Chet's own style of picking, which has inspired so many guitarists throughout the world (myself included, but I didn't have enough fingers at the time).

All the other tracks have Chet adding harmonies and harmonics in the least expected places, bringing out that crystal-clear sound of the guitar to his audience's benefit.

One thing remains very clear to me at the end or this LP, and that is why this sleeve note must end here. Chet Atkins did not get to be a great guitarist by writing sleeve notes, but by years of devoted practice on the instrument he so obviously loves. – George Harrison

I Feel Fine
Yesterday
If I Fell
I'll Cry Instead
Things We Said Today
Hard Day's Night 
I'll Follow The Sound
She's A Woman
And I Love Her
Michelle
She Loves You

No comments:

Post a Comment

Howdy! Thanks for leaving your thoughts!