Search Manic Mark's Blog

Tuesday, January 11, 2022

I Can't Resist You - Anna Maria Alberghetti

Tenderly

I Can't Resist You
Anna Maria Alberghetti
Capitol Records T 887
1957

From the back cover: Anna Maria's proven ability to entrance critics and public alike is quite a feat. But then, Miss Alberghetti has never failed to amaze audiences. Born in Italy of an intensely musical family, she had crowds cheering her rendition of the difficult "Caro Nome" from Rigoletto when she was only six. At the ripe old age of 13, Anna Maria had sung in leading music halls all over Europe.

In the 1950s she made her American debut at Carnegie Hall, where her coloratura soprano rated rave reviews. A performance on Ed Sullivan's show was the first of many TV appearances for Miss Alberghetti. Soon she was on her way to Hollywood and roles in such films as Here Comes The Groom and The Stars Are Singing. More recently, she co-starred with Dean Martin in MGM's Ten Thousand Bedrooms.

For this album, Anna Maria has the backing of arranger-conductor Van Alexander, whose work for Gordon MacRae and many other singing stars has won him a top name in the recording field. Here, his sensuous arrangements provide a distinctive background that serves to accentuate the irresistible quality of her voice.

Anna Maria Alberghetti is now 21 years old – and a strinking beauty. The distinctive style in this album doesn't represent a "new" Alberghetti – rather, here is a new facet of a very mature and accomplished performer.

I'm Glad There Is You
They Didn't Believe Me
Tenderly
I Only Have Eyes For You
My One And Only Love
I Can't Resist You
I've Got A Crush On You
I Concentrate On You
Don't Blame Me
With Every Breath I Take
Too Young
I'll See You In My Dreams

No comments:

Post a Comment

Howdy! Thanks for leaving your thoughts!