Search Manic Mark's Blog

Thursday, August 27, 2020

Deep Purple - Nino Tempo & April Stevens

I've Been Carrying A Torch For You So Long That I Burned A Great Big Hole In My Heart
Deep Purple
Nino Tempo & April Stevens
Arranged and Conducted by Jimmy Haskell
Supervision: Ahmet Ertegün and Nesuhi Ertegün
Cover Design: Loring Eutemey
Cover Photo: John Engstead
Recording Engineer: Dave Wiechman
Atco SD 33-156
A Division of Atlantic Recording Corp.
1963

From the back cover: In the fall of 1961I was recording Bobby Darin in Hollywood, and at the beginning of one of the sessions I was struck by the unusual playing ability and the infectious enthusiasm of a young saxophonist in the band which had been assembled by arranger-conductor Jimmy Haskell.

During a break in the recording, this young man walked over to the piano with Bobby and played him a song he had just written. We all fell out. His song was very good, but what impressed me even more was his very personal singing quality and the groovy arrangement implied by his blues-style piano accompaniment.

"Who are you?" I asked this man of many-faceted talents. I couldn't believe it when he answered Nino Tempo, because I knew of Nino Tempo only as a modern jazz tenor man who used to play way-out music at the legendary Lighthouse where Shorty Rogers, Shelly Manne and other famous West Coast jazzmen made their name.

I asked him what his plans were, and he told me that he was working out an act with his sister, and that they were about to play a series of bookings in various nightclubs around the country.

"Your sister! Really, who's your sister?" I inquired. By this time I was ready for anything.

"April Stevens!" Nino didn't know it, but the beautiful April who had already had several big hits (Touch Me Tiger, I'm In Love Again), was one of my favorite pop singers.

The next day I was in the large comfortable house of Nino and April's parents, eating the best spaghetti west of Milano (as can only be prepared by Mrs. Tempo) and listening to April and Nino's very original approach to such standards as Sweet And Lovely and Paradise, both of which were to become hits.

That's how I can to know Nino and April. And now, everyone who follows popular music has come to know Nino and April because of their complete engaging rendition of Deep Purple. – Ahmet Ertegun


From Billboard - November 2, 1963: The brother-sister act took a good spell to make it with their current smash (No. 3 in the Hot 100 last week), but the disk is now one of the biggest of the moment and this set, picturing the pair on the color, could be a fast mover. Other tracks, in addition to the hit, offer "Paradise," "True Love," "One Dozen Roses" and several good originals. This could be an important set.

Deep Purple
Paradise
Baby Weemus
True Love
It's Pretty Funny
Tears Of Sorrow
Sweet And Lovely
One Dozen Roses
(We'll Always Be) Together
Indian Love Call
Shine On Harvest Moon
I've Been Carrying A Torch For You So Long That I Burned A Great Big Hole In My Heart

No comments:

Post a Comment

Howdy! Thanks for leaving your thoughts!