Search Manic Mark's Blog

Sunday, September 22, 2019

I Love A Guitar - Billy Byrd

Any Time
I Love A Guitar
Billy Byrd
Cover Photo by Hal Adams at Comancias Guest Ranch
Warner Bros WS1327
1959

From the back cover: Although Billy has been playing it pretty for many years before he joined the popular Ernest Tubb troupe of performers, it was Ernest who gave Billy the tag line that's followed him everywhere: "Play it pretty Byrd." Before joining Tubb's troupe Billy had gained a world of experience in different fields, working the raucous Hadacol shows, delivering fine guitar back-grounds for such vocalists as Burl Ives, and playing with such dance bands as Francis Craig's. Then came July, 1949, when Billy met Ernest Tubb.

"Actuall," says Billy, "Ernest's never hired me. I've been 'out of work' since 1949, when I first approached Ernest for a job. I knew he needed a guitar player, so I asked for an audition. I made the appointment, then hurried home to learn all of Ernest's records. Well, I got the job, but it was pretty funny. That night we played WSW's "Grand Ole Opry." I'd had to borrow a western outfit from several guys and nothing fit. Ernest would call out one number and I'd start another. We finally made it together, though, and we've been together ever since. In spite of that shaky beginning, things've worked out real fine."


From Billboard - September 14, 1959: Ernest Tubb's "ace guitar player," Billy Byrd, gets a chance to show his stuff in this disk debut. Set is a spinnable one with stereo contributing a great deal in showing up the fine points of Byrd's talents. Tunes include "Your Cheatin' Heart," "I Love You So Much It Hurts," "Trouble In Mind," "Half As Much," and a fine arrangement of "Walking The Floor Over You."

Slipping Around
Your Cheatin' Heart
Any Time
I Love You So Much It Hurts
Trouble In Mind
Byrdland Guitar
Candy Kisses
A Fallen Star
Just A Little Lovin'
Hey, Good Lookin'
Half As Much
Walking The Floor Over You

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful song, I came across the LP at the Behr Barn in Ruidoso NM.

    ReplyDelete

Howdy! Thanks for leaving your thoughts!