Search Manic Mark's Blog

Thursday, May 23, 2019

The Best Of Wanda Jackson

The Best Of Wanda Jackson
A Delightful Dozen Of Her Best And Biggest!
Producer: Ken Nelson
Starline Capitol Records ST 8-2883
1968

Available from online vendors so I will not be posting a sample. Presented here to share the cover art and jacket notes.

From the back cover: Almost everyone who listens to music knows the name Wanda Jackson, and for a pretty good reason. Wanda's fame has not been confined to one field. She has had big Country songs, hit "rock and roll" numbers, records in the "pop" music charts, not to mention smash hits in Germany, Japan and Holland, singing the songs in the native tongues of those lands. ("Santa Domingo," her great German hit sung in German, is included in this album.)

Such popularity has led to Wanda's being a big box-office attraction all over North America, Europe and Asia. I don't have to tell you how pretty Wanda is, how warm her personality both on and off the stage, nor do I need to elaborate about this "poised and polished performer on the podium." But I can tell you fans some of the background that led to the worldwide stardom of this famous Oklahoma girl.

Some years ago, Tom Jackson brought his dark-haired daughter to my dance at the Trianon Ballroom in Oklahoma City. Wanda was a very young teen-ager, just blossoming into womanhood. She had on a colorful Western costume that her mother Nellie had made for her. I might add that it did fit tight in all the right places.

Wanda came up on stage and sang with my band. She cut a few corners on the meter, missed a few chords on the guitar, and was a little awkward with the microphone – which, with her volume of voice, she didn't need anyway. But the people loved this pretty girl with the trumpet tonsils.

Wanda had been performing since she was a small child. She even had her own radio show on a local station, in the afternoons after school was out. In the summer, I got her to travel with the band and me on some tours. We used her regularly on our TV show and Saturday night dances. In fact, I'll never forget when Wanda first started appearing on our television program. We were doing the show "live," and during one appearance she forgot the words to her song. Then I came along and messed up the words on one of my numbers.

Wanda said, "Hank, now I don't feel so bad, when I hear you sing the wrong words to a song."

And I said, "That's good, but Wanca, I wrote that song originally. So I didn't really miss the words; I just re-wrote them on the show."

I think maybe that was a kind of inducement, because right after that Wanda stated writing songs herself, and she has created a lot of her own big numbers. I don't think she missed the words too often nowadays!

I have proudly watched Wanda progress from those days, steadily and confidently maturing the talent that was so obvious even then. As one big Wanda Jackson fan to another, let me tell you that you are holding in your hands one of the very best albums she has ever made. That's saying a lot, because she's made some great ones. I particularly like this one because it has so many of her finest performances.

I'd like to suggest that you take the record out, and put it on your player, and get set for hours of good listening.

Hours of listening in one album?

That's right, my friend, because you're going to be playing this one over and over again!

– Hank Thompson

From Billboard - March 9, 1968: The many facets of Wanda Jackson are reflected in this LP. Her scope branches many forms of music, but she specializes in country songs such as "Right or Wrong," "The Violet and the Rose," and "Kickin" Our Hearts Around." But to demonstrate how capable she is, here's also "Santo Domingo," a hit for her in Germany, sung in German. Here's also one of her rock songs – "Let's Have A Party" – from years ago.

Right Or Wrong
In The Middle Of A Heartache
If I Cried Every Time You Hurt Me
The Violet And The Rose
Santo Domingo
Tears Will Be The Chaser For Your Wine
I Wonder If She Knows
Kickin' Our Hearts Around
Reckless Love Affair
Let's Have A Party

No comments:

Post a Comment

Howdy! Thanks for leaving your thoughts!