Search Manic Mark's Blog

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Exotic Sounds Of The Spice Islands

The Exotic Sounds Of The Spice Islands
Ed Kenney
Arranged And Conducted By Dick Hyman
Columbia CS 8283
1960(?)

I resisted buying this album because I didn't know if I could take could take male vocals featured on an exotica recording. I thought about it and, aside from Hawaiian folk music records, I don't have any exotica albums that feature male vocals.

The music and the arrangements are very nice and there are bird sound effects to be found in abundance. Columbia should have left the LP as an instrumental.  I'll probably catch grief for this, but Kenney's style of vocals simply do not blend well with the exotica form.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, funny, I ALSO have passed on this one many times. Now if I looked for it, I could probably never find it again. lol.

    ReplyDelete

Howdy! Thanks for leaving your thoughts!