Search Manic Mark's Blog

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Ruth Lyons 50/50 Club Christmas


Ruth Lyons
Christmas Albums
Candee Records, Cincinnati, OH - 196?

The Ruth Lyons 50/50 Club was a fixture on local radio and television for decades.

National talent of all types appeared on her show. David Letterman, Phil Donahue, Nelson Eddy, Ted Lewis, Pearl Bailey and Myron Cohen appeared on her show.

As a side note, Ruth Lyons Christmas Fund was a well known local charity who gave toys to children in hospitals at least as far away as the town I grew up in three hours north of Cincinnati. Because, in 1960 when I had my tonsils taken out, I remember receiving a toy from "Ruth".

4 comments:

  1. awesome cover art! I am curious as to the music!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The music is very polished... a few tracks will be good for a holiday CD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a coup this was to own all Ruth Lyons' Christmas music on ONE CD!!! Something from my dreams............and the music is dreamy, too. It certainly takes me back to my childhood home in Kettering, Ohio, mid-50s to late-60s. I'll never forget Ruth and the "50-50 Club" cast that made life seem warm and cozy, like a big hug. Rest in peace, "Mother"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. MY friends father played music for Ruth in the early 1950's his name was Vernon Gilchrist from Indpls. Was hoping to find a clip of him any help??

    ReplyDelete

Howdy! Thanks for leaving your thoughts!