Search Manic Mark's Blog

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Exotic Percussion - Stanley Black And His Orchestra

Exotic Percussion
Stanley Black And His Orchestra
London SP 44004
1961

Available on a combo CD with Intimate Percussion, so I will not be posting a sample.

This is but one of the many great Phase 4 Stereo percussion LPs to collect. I read one rather harsh review of this album on Amazon. The reviewer was comparing this Black project with what he consider Black's better "small group and piano". Fortunately for me I don't have any of those records so, I guess that I can enjoy this album for what it is, a somewhat late entry into the exotica market but a set that covers all my favorite tunes. The music is kept fresh by blending early 60s light pop flourishes into the "Denny" inspired sound.

The engineering is excellent.

1 comment:

Howdy! Thanks for leaving your thoughts!