Search Manic Mark's Blog

Saturday, January 25, 2020

Clap Hands! Here Comes Rosie

Makin' Whoopee!
Claps Hands! Here Comes Rosie!
Arranged and Conducted by Bob Thompson
Produced by Dick Peirce
Recording Engineer: Al Schmitt
Recorded at RCA Victor's Music Center of the World, Hollywood, California on February 18, 23 and 27, 1960
RCA Victor LSP-2212

From the back cover: Oddly enough, all my recording efforts for RCA Victor up to this time have been in combination with another artist – Bing Crosby, Bob Hope, Perez Prado. Now – at last – A&R boss Dick Peirce allowed me to do an album all by myself! I wonder if that means "I've arrived,"

Seriously, though, I'd like to say a word about this fellow Peirce in regard to the album. I must tell you that I've never worked with anyone more stimulating and creative. He drew from me some vocal performances I myself didn't realize I had inside – and, yet, he never did try to violate my own natural interpretation of these songs. I must say it's a particularly big thrill to work with an A&R man who believes in you so strongly and completely. Such a man's direction and enthusiasm can often turn an ordinary recording into a great one.

A special bouquet is due also to the refreshing musical arrangements of Bob Thompson, who certainly does wonders with a vocal chorus. One of the reasons I so enjoyed making this album was Bob's different approach, his unique utilization of voices, and the way he used the hand claps in a rhythmic way. I'm especially please, too, because for the first time I've done something I always wanted to do – cut a real happy and swinging album.

And, finally, I can't neglect a mention the outstanding instrumental solos given by members of the orchestra: Pete Candoli and Don Fagerquist on trumpets; Milt Bernhart on trombone; Ted Nash, Ronny Lang and Bud Shank on saxophones and flutes; and Jimmy Rowles on piano. – Rosmary Clooney


From Billboard - July 4, 1960: A swinging packets of performances by the thrush, with smart instrumentals behind her. "Something's Gotta Give," "Give Me The Simple Life," "Bye Bye Blackbird," are included. Rosie gets a lot out of these tunes, and a special nod goes to arranger Bob Thompson.

Clap Hands! Here Comes Rosie! / Everything's Coming Up Roses
Give Me The Simple Life
Bye Bye Blackbird
Aren't You Glad You're You
You Got
Too Marvelous For Words
Something's Gotta Give
Hooray For Love
Mean To me
Oh, What A Beautiful Mornin'
It Could Happen To You
Makin' Whoopee!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Howdy! Thanks for leaving your thoughts!