Search Manic Mark's Blog

Friday, July 12, 2019

Don't Let Go - Derek Smith & Venus

Love For Sale
Don't Let Go
Derek Smith And Venus
Produced by Enoch Light
Associate Producers: Tony Motosa, Jeff Hest and Derek Smith
Arrangements: Derek Smith
Engineer: Steve Friedman
Mastering: Al Brown (Stereo), Cass Mondello (SQ)
The Total Sound, Inc.
Project 3 PR 5095 SD
1971

Musicians

Derek Smith: Fender Rhodes Piano
Ron Zito: Drums
Russel George: Bass
Eddie Daniels: Flute
Carlos Martin: Congas
Sue Evans: Percussion
George Devens: Percussion
Joe Beck: Guitar
Jeff Mironov: Guitar
Jerry Friedman: Guitar

From the back cover: When Tony Mottola called to suggest that I record an album for Enoch Light's Project 3 label, he caught me just after I was finished my last program as musical director on Don Kirshner's Musical Chairs TV Show. My previous network TV experience was as pianist in Doc Severinsen's band on the Johnny Carson Tonight Show where I worked for six years and where I learned a little about music and much a bout clothes.

When Johnny decided to move his show from New York to the West Coast I jumped off that particular band-wagon, opting for the creative tension of Fun City over the torpor of Tinseltown. I plunged into the twilight world of the recording studio, creating commercials for banks, bakers and breweries, and helping to make hit albums for Dionne Warwick and Burt Bacharach.

Drummer Ron Zito, bassist Russell George and myself after work on the Howard Cosell Show would often find ourselves accompanying such jazz greats as Dizzy Gillespie and Bill Watrous and the next day playing rock or rock influenced commercial music, so the germ of this album was born. Why not amalgamate hot jazz and a contemporary rock rhythm section with a Disco feel. This album is the result.


Love For Sale
Our Day Will Come
Bésame Mucho (Kiss Me Much)
How High The Moon
Don't Let Go
Sweet Georgia Brown
Summertime

No comments:

Post a Comment

Howdy! Thanks for leaving your thoughts!