Search Manic Mark's Blog

Loading...

Monday, July 12, 2010

The Sounds Of Exotic Island - The Surfmen

The Sounds Of Exotic Island
The Surfmen
Somerset SF-10500
1960

This record was also reissued as The South Sea Serenaders, Tradewinds: Romance From Hawaii To Tahiti, Somerset SF-25100.

The Surfmen made two records, both on Somerset. This record being the best of the two in my opinion.

Somerset Record label Chief D. L. Miller gave the musicians the task of doing a Martin Denny and Arthur Lyman exotica styled record.

In another post, I suggested that the second Surfmen release, The Surfmen In Hawaii, was perhaps not as polished as a Martin or a Lyman project, but I think this earlier record is killer exotic and holds up nicely as compared to the sound of the Kings Of Exotica.

2 comments:

  1. Oh yes. The Surfmen are remarkable. Thank you for turning me on to them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to see this great LP getting recognition. I a CD with the original cover art would get a release. It would be super awesome if the CD replicated a mini album and included the original Somerset label on the disc!

    There is a CD called The Surfmen Studio 102 Essentials which has all the songs from their 2 LP's but lack the great cover art and the songs are in alphabetical order.

    My mom bought the original LP when it first came out and we'd play it on a "STATE OF THE ART" Muntz TV stereo console. I played this to death in the early 70's. I recorded it on cassette and took it with me when I went fishing (Lived at Saratoga Lake). I also took 2 other recordings, George Cate's Polynesian Percussion & Orienta by The Markko Polo Adventurers. I guess I was a strange kid as every other kid was into Led Zeppelin, Alice Cooper & Deep Purple. I actually like them too, but I still play my Surfman music quite frequently.

    I think Exotic Island will always have it's fans! Great LP!!

    ReplyDelete

Howdy! Thanks for leaving your thoughts!