Search Manic Mark's Blog

Friday, March 16, 2012

The Greatest Guitar - Al Caiola

Chiribiribin
The Greatest Guitar
Al Caiola
Guest Star Records NG-1408

This Guest Star LP features a snap shot quality photo of Caiola on the jacket.

The cover sells the set as a Caiola. As far as I can tell, Caiola isn't playing on side one.

As I listen to the B side, I'll be damned if I can tell if Caiola is playing on this LP at all. Wait a second, I need to check the label for his name. The label reads Italian Holiday so the wrong record is in the jacket!  No... the catalog numbers are the same and the tracks seem to be correct. Apparently Guest Star could only afford a snapshot of Caiola for the cover and that was it. I'm not kidding...

Enjoy a track by Bill Costa instead which Caiola may, or may not have backed.

2 comments:

  1. Al Caiola is often confused with Al Viola, both played on a lot of Sinatra records and their styles are similar. Caiola had a couple of endorsement guitar deals if I recall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Al Caiola had a signature model Epiphone, that was based on an ES-335. It was fully hollow but did not have F holes

    ReplyDelete

Howdy! Thanks for leaving your thoughts!