Search Manic Mark's Blog

Friday, August 27, 2010

Allen Hanlon Picks Leroy Anderson

Serenata
Allen Hanlon Picks LeRoy Anderson
Golden Crest CR 3012
1957

From Billboard Magazine May 6, 1957: LeRoy Anderson tunes like Sleigh Ride, Syncopated Clock, etc. are well known enough but they are better suited to bigger and more colorful ork groups than that obtained by multi-track guitar disking. Hanlon's technique is tops but it doesn't add up to much of a commercial LP package. Cover seems to have little connection with the contents.

I was going to say that...

I do love the cover, but there isn't much relation to content. And use of multi-track recording didn't help fatten up the sound. The audio on most tracks sounds thin and restrained. Serenata, track 3 on the B side, features a touch of personality.

2 comments:

  1. Oh yes! I LOVE That cover! Nice guitar instrumental!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed; this is not his best work. And Allen Hanlon was my uncle. :) Great influence on me; I still compose and perform, singer songwriter: Tom Hanlon.

    ReplyDelete

Howdy! Thanks for leaving your thoughts!