Search Manic Mark's Blog

Monday, March 30, 2020

The Most Beautiful Girl In The World - Johnny

Whispering
Johnny Costa Plays For
The Most Beautiful Girl In The World
Piano with Rhythm Accompaniment
Coral Records CRL 57117
1957

From the back cover: Johnny's name, though not yet familiar to many listeners, is one that is increasingly daily in stature. His previous LP, Coral CRL 57020, brought him to the attention of thousands of music lovers outside his regular bailiwick in Pittsburgh, where for the past five years he has been a staff pianist and organist at Westinghouse KDKA-TV, the television arm of America's oldest radio station.

Born January 18, 1922 in Arnold, Pennsylvania, Johnny studied with Martin Miessler, who was Oscar Levant's teacher. During the war years, his studies were interrupted and his professional debut was delayed by a period with the 90th Infantry Division. Two months after taking part in the invasion, he was sent home with rheumatic fever and was unable to play piano for many months.

His formal training was completed by studies at Carnegie Institute in Pittsburgh, where he was very proud to have as his teacher Nicolai Lopatnicoff, a fine academician who knows Hindemith very well and was able to provide Johnny with all the necessary technical qualifications for his career.

Well-versed in both classical music and jazz, Johnny soon became a local favorite. Visiting celebrities were attracted to jam sessions at his home. The late Tommy Dorsey, in particular, became an ardent Costa rooter. "I remember one wonderful jam session at my house," Johnny recalls, "when Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey and practically the entire Dorsey band stayed up jamming until six a.m., along with Jack Teagarden, Ray Bauduc, Buddy Rich and a whole flock of others. Tommy wanted me to come to New York, but I didn't feel I was ready at the time."

Another immortal musician who spent many hours at sessions with Johnny was the one and only Art Tatum. "While I was in school he came here once and I got to know him well. Later on I learned he was recommending me for jobs. Needless to say, Tatum was my idol and the greatest jazz pianist ever."

On these present recordings, Johnny Costa is in dependable and distinguished company. Gus Johnson, the drummer, born in 1913 in Tyler, Texas, is a graduate of the bands of Jay McShann and Earl Himes; he was featured with Count Basie from 1950 through 1954. William "Buddy" Jones, the bassist, born in 1924 in Hope, Arkansas, has lent his solid sound to the groups of Charlie Ventura, Joe Venuit, Lennie Tristano, Elliot Lawrence and many others. – Leonard Feather


From Billboard - May 6, 1957: Pleasant piano solo work in a gentle vein by Costa on a group of listenable standards – "Night and Day," "The Boy Next Door," etc. Good instrumental wax for jocks in search of soothing mood music wax. Should enjoy moderate sales if given any exposure.

The Most Beautiful Girl In The World
The Boy Next Door
It's All Right With Me
From this Moment On / Who Cares
Cherokee
Coquette
Everything I've Got
Willow Weep For Me
Night And Day
This Can't Be Love
I'll Be Around
Whispering

2 comments:

  1. Hey there mark, is there any way I can tip you in exchange for some google drive digital copies of Christmas reflections or any other albums non existent on the internet? I’m 18 and a huge fan of costa , transcribe and study him. But some of my orders have been cancelled because of shipping problems online and availability. Nonetheless God bless you for what you do! Merry christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You for your interest in Costa and Merry Christmas! I am sorry to say that, for a number of reasons, I am not set up here to share files, in that many of the 1,000s of albums I've listened to, haven't actually been saved to disk and I can't say that I have any LP situated where I can lay my hands on it without great effort. – Mark

      Delete

Howdy! Thanks for leaving your thoughts!