Search Manic Mark's Blog

Monday, May 12, 2014

Hi-Fi Living

Back cover art for the series

Vol.1 – I Could Have Danced All Night
Vol. 2 – Hands Across The Table
Vol. 3 – Hits From Hollywood
Vol. 4 – I Married An Angel
Vol. 5 – Love On Broadway
Vol. 6 – Latin Holiday
Vol. 7 – These Foolish Things
Vol. 8 – A Lazy Afternoon
Vol. 9 – The Girl That I Marry
Vol. 10 – Very Hi-Fi Organ
Vol. 11 – A Trip To Romance
Vol. 12 – We're Having A Party

(More volumes in the series to follow)

Once In A While
I Married An Angel
Vol. 4 For Hi-Fi Living
Hill Bowen And His Orchestra
RCA Custom RAL 1004
1957

Lush strings broken up from time to time with bongos and jazzy passages that don't last long enough for my tastes. Enjoy the ice guitar passage featured in the sample.

I Married An Angel
Lovely Lady
Taking A Chance On Love
I'll Never Be The Same
Doll Dance
I Love You
More Than You Know
That Old Feeling
Once In A While
Blue Moon
Down Among The Sheltering Palms

September Song
Love On Broadway
Vol. 5 For Hi-Fi-Living
Hill Bowen And His Orchestra
RCA Custom RAL 1005
1957

Repeat of the Bowen's lush strings sound as heard on Vol. 4 sans the bongos and jazz passages. This approach presents less possibilities for excitement, however, the mood on this record is more solidly presented because the strings aren't fighting against the jazz treatments for attention.

They Didn't Believe Me
My Ship
Wunderbar
Make Believe
Smoke Gets In Your Eyes
June Is Bustin' Out All Over
Love Walked In
Some Enchanted Evening
The Night Was Made For Love
Orchids In The Moonlight
September Song
Falling In Love With Love

Perfidia
Latin Holiday
Vol. 6 For Hi-Fi Living
Don Amore And His Orchestra
RCA Custom RAL 1006
1957

Light interpretations of many favored period standards.

Amor
Cuanto le Gusta
Lisbon Antiqua
Brazil
Frenesi
Tico-Tico
Perfidia
El Cumbanchero
Sweet and Gentle
Besame Mucho
Adios
Green Eyes

When You Wish Upon A Star
These Foolish Things
Vol. 7 For Hi-Fi Living
Jack Sack And His Orchestra
RCA Custom RAL 1007
1957

Nice mood set that engages with creative arrangements.

Love
Yearning
Oh, How I Miss You Tonight
Music, Maestro, Please!
When You Wish Upon A Star
San Antonio Rose
These Foolish Things
Wabash Moon
When They Ask About You
Lullaby Of Leaves
I'd Climb The Highest Mountain
With A Smile And A Song

I'm Always Chasing Rainbows
A Lazy Afternoon
Vol. 8 For Hi-Fi Living
Malcolm Lockyer And His Orchestra
RCA Custom RAL 1008
1957

Heavy duty mood… but there is a touch of drama, provided by the slow moving arrangements and piano passages, to the set that helped draw me in and hold my attention.

Deep Purple
You Stepped Out Of A Dream
In A Little Spanish Town
Don't Blame Me
Time On My Hands
The Wedding Of The Painted Dolls
Let Me Love You Tonight
I'm Always Chasing Rainbows
Jeannine
At Sundown
I'll See You In My Dreams
Goodnight Sweetheart

Blue Skies
The Girl That I Marry
The Music Of Irving Berlin
Vol. 9 For Hi-Fi Living
Jack Say And His Orchestra
RCA Custom RAL 1009
1957

A solid mood set.

Soft Lights And Sweet Dreams
Remember
Cheek To Cheek
How Deep Is The Ocean
Say It Isn't So
Blue Skies
Say It With Music
Always
Lady Of The Evening
The Girl That I Marry
A Pretty Girl Is Like A Melody
All By Myself

Stormy Weather
Very Hi-Fi Organ
Vol. 10 For Hi-Fi Living
Jocelyn McNeil At The Pipe Organ
RCA Custom RAL 1010

Enough with the orchestrated mood… Let's give the pipe organ a whirl...

Who's Sorry Now?
Sophisticated Lady
Pavanne
Star Dust
The Creole Love Call
Home
Blue Mirage
Jealous
I Got Rhythm
Emaline
Stormy Weather
The Dream Of Olwen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Howdy! Thanks for leaving your thoughts!