Search Manic Mark's Blog

Saturday, November 6, 2010

The Colonel's Mandolin Band

Love Lifted Me
The Colonel's Mandolin Band
Favorite Old Church Hyms For The Glorification Of Christ
Grant Enterprises, Louisville, Kentucky

Here's an obscure KFC collectible. Making this record was a pet project for Sanders.

From the back cover: This was easy to do because the children live only a few miles from The Colonel's home, Blackwood Hall, which is a landmark in the Shelbyville area. Also, the Colonel has helped the children to make this record and plans to place 30,000 of these LP records in Canada alone. Because the Colonel is a famous Kentuckian, we were honored to have the band incorporated as The Colonel's Madoline Band.

Why, the curious line about sending 30,000 copies to Canada?

The record plays like most good unusual vanity press gospel recordings. The mandolin gimmick isn't over sold and David Arnholter, the vocalist, is just too cute!

10 comments:

  1. Oh my! Another Col Sanders item! Remember Burt's??? I love all the Mandolins!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My uncle Sherman King is the boy with the bass in the back :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa,

      Is your uncle still around? I'd like to get in touch with him about the mandolin band if at all possible.

      Delete
    2. Hi Melissa, I'm trying to get in contact with members of the band for a news article. If you can help me get in touch, please email me at SeanPNeumann@gmail.com -- thank you!

      Delete
  3. I have the same record , Record # 102, by Grant Enterprises,Inc. I saw one going on E-Bay for $22.75 !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a copy of this album if anyone is interested in buying!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got this record from my Mom last week. It was still sealed but I opened today and put it on the record player. Overall not a bad record. different though. I'll play it again. By the way it sells on Amazon for $75 to $100

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can buy this album (still sealed) at the original restaurant in Corbin, KY. I picked it up there last week for $5.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can buy this LP (original pressing, still sealed) at Col Sanders' original restaurant in Corbin, KY. I bought a copy there last week for $5.

    Definitely a rare find outside that restaurant, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe. How much? Im in Uk but want for a gift for Russia

    ReplyDelete

Howdy! Thanks for leaving your thoughts!