Search Manic Mark's Blog

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Stan Kenton Plays For Today

Michelle
Stan Kenton Plays For Today
Capitol ST 2655
1967

From Billboard - March 25, 1967: Kenton continues to be one of our most inventive arrangers and his work on this exceptional program of pop tunes makes them sparkle anew. "Spanish Eyes," "Strangers In The Night" and "Michelle" are infused with a jazz flavor, making this a double threat album.

It Was A Very Good Year
Yesterday
Sabre Dance
Spanish Eyes
Cumana
The Sound Of Music
Somewhere My Love (Lara's Theme)
Never On Sunday
Michelle
Strangers In The Night
Anna

2 comments:

  1. I think it's my first comment on this blog, so let me say thank you for all your posts and reviews -- they've been a great guide when out digging through the bins.

    I'm also a huge fan of the cover artwork posted here. It speaks to another time, another mindset, and sometimes photography budgets that would rival the entire cost of producing an album these days.

    I scooped this album a couple of months back. It's certainly one of Kenton's better ones, and really sets an example to counter his liner note comments about jazz contemporaries losing the melody amidst improvisations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. I too enjoy the cover graphics and frequently collect albums for the art first. I'm old enough to appreciate the effort it took to produce images before the advent of computer production.

      Delete

Howdy! Thanks for leaving your thoughts!