Search Manic Mark's Blog

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Music For Space Squirrels

Sweet Lorraine
Music For Space Squirrels
Al Caiola's Magic Guitars
ATCO 33-117
1958

From the cover art, it is hard to believe this album was created in 1958. The illustration is by Milton Glaser.  The illustration seems more like something you might see produced in the late 60s or early 70s.

The back cover presents a story about the U.S. sending two squirrels (Stanley and Stella) into space (squirrels this time around because the "apes" were "such prima donnas").

Space age pop and squirrels? How could I resist? The music is sort of high pitched or high strung and frenetic. I got the squirrel thing... but not the SPACE thing.  I would have preferred more "space" than squirrels in my music. Anyway. There is only one slow or laid back track on the LP and that's the song I like. Sweet Lorranie.

1 comment:

  1. AH! Al Caiola! I love him. He, like Les Paul, had a guitar named after him. He's fabulous. I have tons of his singles. That cover is crazy for 1958! WOW! I've never seen this record before.

    ReplyDelete

Howdy! Thanks for leaving your thoughts!