Search Manic Mark's Blog

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

A Presentation Of Progressive Jazz - Stan Kenton

This Is My Theme
A Presentation (Concert) Of Progressive Jazz
Stan Kenton And His Orchestra
Capitol Records T172
1948

1947 was the recording date for the original tracks. From the back cover: Come Rain Of Come Shine, Theme For Alto recorded in Hollywood, 1951. So, I take it that this is an early 50s reissue with the two tracks as mentioned above, plus Introduction To A Latin Rhythm and Thermopolae added to fill out this release. The original tracks apparently were issued as a four record EP set(?). I also found the release on a Capitol 10 inch (L172) with the faux wood frame border cover. There is also a reference to Kenton's City Of Glass project. This album apparently may share the tune titled Thermopolae with that release. However, when I look at the track list on Amazon for that title, I find it spelled Thermopyle. I don't know if this is the same track although it probably is.

What really puzzles me is that the album appears to be available only on vinyl?

The work is completely outstanding. My personal comment while listening: "This kicks total ass!". This record is an amazing concept or theme record that forces me reset my thinking on late 40s and early 50s trends and influences. Pete Rugolo apparently deserves a good deal of credit for the Kenton sound during this period. Bob Graettinger is also mentioned in the notes (for Thermopolae).

June Chirsty did the vocals on the sample above and  Lonely Woman and Come Rain or Come Shine.

Other musicians you might recognize playing on the set include: Art Pepper, Laurindo Almeida, Jack Costanzo and Shelly Manne.

Cuban Carnival
Monotony
Lonely Woman
Lament
Thermopolae
Theme For Alto
Impressionism
Elegy For Alto
This Is My Theme
Fugue For Rhythm Section
Introduction To A Latin Rhythm
Come Rain Or Come Shine

3 comments:

  1. This must be a later 12" version.

    I happened to snag the original 10" LP (was also released as a 4 record 78rpm album set) about a month before your blog post here! All recordings are indeed from late 1947, just before the 2nd recording ban of the 1940's - stratospheric stuff that was decades ahead of its time.

    Came across this post in doing a bit of research, as I plan on holding a 60 side "Kentonfest" at my YouTube channel in the coming weeks & months and this entire album (my 10" copy - 8 sides) will be part of it.

    You may have heard Tink mention me in some of her YouTube videos - she refers to me simply as "Swing Man". ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howdy Swing Man! Thanks for stopping by to say hey and to part with some of the amazing insight you have on recordings! This album, I must say, is one of my all time personal favorites.

      Delete
  2. You bet. :)

    Yeah, this one's quite a listen - got a couple of the track here (on the 12" version) on 78 that weren't included on the original 10" version. The upcoming "Kentonfest" will be a musical journey, for sure - covering mainly his work on Capitol from 1943-1947, but also some of his work on Decca from 1942.

    ReplyDelete

Howdy! Thanks for leaving your thoughts!