Search Manic Mark's Blog

Monday, October 11, 2021

Songs For Hip Lovers - Woody Herman

 

Alone Together

Song For Hip Lovers
Woody Herman
Cover Photo: Garrett and Howard
Art Direction: Sheldon Marks
Verve MGV-2069
1957

From the back cover: Woody has always had deep (oh, so very deep) roots in jazz and no matter how popular the "pop" song that Woody does, the jazz feeling still cuts through and the time is there, because Woody can swing, and I mean really swing! In line with these antecedents, I felt it not only advisable but appropriate that we use some jazz voices with Woody, and so you will hear, among others, on the big band sides, Bill Harris on trombone, Charlie Shavers on trumpet, Jo Jones on drums, Lou Stein on piano, Milt Hinton on bass and Billy Bauer on guitar. On the small combo sides the soloists were: Harry Edison, trumpet, Ben Webster, tenor sax, and with occasional solo contributions by Jimmie Rowles on piano and Barney Kessel on guitar. The rest of the rhythm section included Joe Mondragon on bass, and Larry Bunker on drums. – Norman Granz

Makin' Whoopee
I Won't Dance
I Guess I'll Have To Change My Plans
Willow Weep For Me
Moon Song
Can't We Be Friends
Comes Love
Ev'rything I've Got
Alone Together
Bidin' My Time
Isn't This A Lovely day
Louise

No comments:

Post a Comment

Howdy! Thanks for leaving your thoughts!