Search Manic Mark's Blog

Thursday, November 26, 2020

Porgy And Bess - Percy Faith

 

My Man's Gone Now

Percy Faith
Plays George Gershwin's
Porgy And Bess
Columbia CL 1298
1959

From the back cover : For this album I used two-orchestral combinations of thirty-seven and forty-two pieces. The performances of the men were so fine that I am inclined to give credit where credit is due, and list the names of those who played important solos, and to praise the orchestra as a whole. I have always thought of this orchestra as an individual, as a soloist rather than as an ensemble.

From Billboard - April 20, 1959: A sparkling album of Gershwin's folk opera – full of color, spirit and beautifully arranged. Material includes all the well-known songs, such as "Summertime," etc., and also much lesser-known material, as "Oh I Can't Sit Down," the street cries of "The Strawberry Woman" etc. The individual instrumentalists contribute greatly to the total effect, and are listed on the back cover by Percy Faith. Cover is an eye-catcher.

Violin - George Ockner
Piano - Bernie Leighton
Trumpet - "Doc" Severinses
Alto Sax - Jimmie Abato
Tenor Sax - Russ Banzer
Drums - Terry Snyder
Mallets - Phil Kraus
Cello - Lucien Schmidt
Oboe - Harold Feldman

Catfish Row
Summer Time
A Woman Is A Sometime Thing
My Man's Gone Now
Leavin' That Promised Land
I Got Plenty O' Nuttin'
Bess, You Is My Woman Now
Oh, I Can't Sit Down
It Ain't Necessarily So
The Strawberry Woman And The Crab Man
I Loves You, Porgy
There's A Boat That's Leavin' Soon For New York
Bess, Oh Where's My Bess
O Lawn, I'm On My Way

No comments:

Post a Comment

Howdy! Thanks for leaving your thoughts!