Search Manic Mark's Blog

Monday, June 15, 2020

More Of Other Worlds, Other Sounds - Esquivel

Street Of Dreams
More Of Other World, Other Sounds
Esquivel - His Piano and His Orchestra
Produced by Albums, Inc.
Cover: Norman Gollin
Art Directions; Merle Shore
Reprise Records R-6046
1962

From the back cover: For those of you who not speak Spanish, I could tell you that the name Esquivel, translated into English, means "exciting," or "enchanting," or "exotic," "effervescent," "ebullient," or even "electric," and any one of these words might be true. As a matter of fact, they are all true when we speak about Juan Garcia Esquivel in any or all of his roles as composer, arrangers, pianist, conductor, or in his complete personality as a man.

This album is the total effort of many talented people: musicians, singers, recording engineers, and technicians, but the driving force comes from lonely the vivid musical imagination of Juan himself. It is the culmination of years of experimenting to find orchestral colors and rhythms that would affect the listener in the same manner as he would be affected by meeting this artist in person, because Juan and his music are the same, vital and stimulating.

I have been the musical director of Revue Studios for eight years and I have always been interested in finding new talent to write the musical scores for the programs that are seen and heard each week by people all over the world. About five years ago I was introduced to Esquivel through one of his early albums, recorded in Mexico. I felt at the time the here was one of the freshest, most exciting interpreters of contemporary music that I head heard. This feeling became even more intensified when I heard his album Other Worlds, Other Sounds, recorded by RCA Victor, in which his ideas and experimentanitions had reached the vertex in achievement. I decided that if Juan ever got near Hollywood I would throw a rope around him and keep him here. He did come eventually, and I found that I did not need a rope, since one of his main interests was to write dramatic music for motions pictures and television. Again, in this field of music, I found Juan to be most inventive, sensitive, and understanding. Millions of television viewers have heard his humor, warmth, and his great dramatic feeling in the background music of "The Tall Man," Markham," and "The Bob Cummings Show." The public's reaction has been most gratifying to me; the mail has told me what an important contribution Juan has already made to contemporary music. And I am now even more convinced that great things are still to come from him in the field of motion picture and television. – Stanley Wilson


The Breeze And I (Andalucia)
Chant Of The Night
Canadian Sunset
Street Scene
I Get A Kick Out Of You
Privavera
Street Of Dreams
La Mantilla
One For My Baby (And One More For The Road)
Dancing In The Dark
Snowfall
Travelin'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Howdy! Thanks for leaving your thoughts!