Search Manic Mark's Blog

Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Live At The Abby! - Dave Remington Quartet & Dixieland Sandbar Stompers

I Found A New Baby
Live At The Abbey!
With the Dave Remington Quartet and Dixieland Sandbar Stompers
Claremont Records LP CL-668
1966

Personell: Dave Remington, Matt Spinello, Guy Florenza, Johnny Porrazzo, Jeffry Chompe, Chuck Hedges, Jerry Coleman, Joe Levinson, Andy Johnson and Bobby Lewis

From the back cover: Right in front let me say that this album is dedicated to my father, Emory B. Remington, trombone Instructor and Chairman of the Brass Department at the Eastman School of Music in Rochester, New York. The album is also dedicated to the memory of my mother, Laura Wilbur Remington who, along with dad, provided me with the necessary lessons and encouragement on piano, trombone and harp! I'm not positive that this music is quite what my parents had in mind for me many years ago, but none-the-less this is the way it has ended for the time being.

Playing jazz music in nightclubs is not always what it is cracked up to be. Usually the instruments are out of tune, ventilation is poor, management of clubs is rather unusual and one never knows from day to day whether the club will be in operation or padlocked for a variety of violations of local ordinances. One exception is Chicago's JAZZ LTD., owns and operated by Bill and Ruth Reinhardt. JAZZ LTD. is now in its twentieth year of continuous operation and here is where I received my first trombone-playing job in a dixieland jazz band.

In between JAZZ LTD. and THE ABBEY there have been far too many cities and clubs to mention... too many miles traveled and too little bread! THE ABBEY has to be a very bright spot in what normally is a very dull musical journey. The music on this album was recorded live in the Sandbar at THE ABBEY in Fontana, Wisconsin, and during the past two years Sandbar audiences have been treated to the likes of the entire Doc Severinsen band wailing through set after set of exciting jazz tunes. Art Van Damme and his quintet have worked the room as well as such jazz greats as Frank Assunto and Jerry Fuller from the Dukes of Dixieland.


I Found A New Baby
Wrap Your Troubles In Dreams - Vocals by Jan Castle
The Bourbon Street Parade
Alexander's Ragtime Band
After You've Gone
Fly Me To The Moon - Vocals by Matt Spinello
San Fransisco
Laura
My Kind Of Girl - Vocals by Dave Remington
I've Got You Under My Skin

1 comment:

  1. I'd love to hear the whole album. I have the album Dave Remington and The Dixie Six - Dixie On The Rocks. Great album. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete

Howdy! Thanks for leaving your thoughts!